Club Director of Coaching of the Year
Indiana Soccer recognized our Director of Coaching, Jamie Wood, as the Club Director of Coaching of the Year at the annual awards banquet. Jamie has done outstanding work moving Fishers SC forward and is well deserving of the honor!
Finalist for the Girls Travel Coach of the Year
Whitey Kapsalis was named a Finalist for the Girls Travel Coach of the Year award at the annual Indiana Soccer Awards Banquet on February 25. Whitey was nominated for his efforts with our 99 Girls Red team.
Fishers Soccer Club was well represented at the 2011 Indiana Soccer Awards Dinner. Adrienne Holman, our Travel Director, and Tyler Carrithers, our Recreational Soccer Director, were Finalists for Volunteer of the Year. Kim Tumblin, our Registrar, was a finalist for Administrator of the Year. Their selection as Finalists for these state award is testament to strong efforts. Adrienne, Tyler, and Kim - thank you for your efforts and the outstanding manner with which you represent our club.
- Adrienne Holman - Finalist, 2010 Volunteer of the Year. Adrienne has dedicated many years to Fishers SC as the Travel Director, a Board Member, Vice-President, a team manager, and a coach. She was directly involved with the hiring process of a new DOC and the transitioning of the training staff from contractor to employee status. Adrienne has served as the Director of Field Marshals for the Halloween Classic for the past seven years and volunteers for the Fishers High School Girls Soccer Program. In 2011 she will be joining the Indianapolis Premier SC Board of Directors.
- Kim Tumblin - Finalist, 2010 Volunteer of the Year. Kim has been a club board member since 2007 working with manager oversight, tournament registration oversight and is the current Registrar for the rec and travel programs. She also served on the Halloween Classic Tournament Committee as the Director of Parking and Security (2007-2009) and Director of Registration (2010) and with the FSC Kohl's US Youth Soccer Cup Committee. She has been a team manager/parent for rec and travel teams for the past 12 years.
- Tyler Carrithers - Finalist, 2010 Volunteer of the Year. Tyler is a volunteer travel and rec coach, recreational age group commissioner and serves on the Board of Directors as the Rec Director. His leadership of the rec program, that in 2010 had over 2500 participants, has ensured the development of coaches, players and volunteers. He works tirelessly to ensure the rec players get the same level of opportunity as do the travel players. He is also a referee and served on the 2010 Indiana Soccer Recreation Committee.
Indiana Youth Soccer Award Winners
Fishers Soccer Club was well represented at the 2010 Indiana Youth Soccer Awards Banquet on Saturday, January 30. The five individuals who were honored have gone beyond expectations and have made a difference for FSC and our community. Congratulations!
- 2009 Young Female Referee of the Year - Hannah Alveal Hannah is a member of the JV Girls soccer team at Fishers High School. She has played soccer for over six years with Fishers Soccer Club and is a Grade 8 referee. Hannah has officiated regular season, tournament and Cup games throughout Indiana and neighboring states, using each opportunity to better her referee skills and understanding of the game. A true student of the game, she embraces challenging experiences with a smile and is always looking for opportunities to mentor young referees. *
- 2009 Manager of the Year, Finalist - Flo Douglass
Flo is the team manager for the Fishers Soccer Club U14 Girls team, a role which she served for six years. She manages all aspects of of the team including: communications, tournaments, uniforms, fees, and logistics. Flo is recognized for the quality of her volunteer work as a team manager and also her graceful spirit and diligent service to the players, team, parents, coach, and club. *
- 2009 Co-Administrator of the Year - Scott Kocher
Scott served as President of FSC from 2004-2009 and as an at-large board member from 2003-2004. Scott was a founding board member of Indianapolis Premier Soccer Club (IPSC) through a joint venture with FSC and Noblesville United Soccer in 2006. He served as IPSC President from 2006-2007, Vice President 2007-2008 and a second term as President 2008-2009. Scott is an "E" licensed travel coach who has coached in recreational and competitive teams. Scott served on the Halloween Classic Tournament Committee 2003-2005 and was the Assistant Tournament Director 2006-2009. In his many years of service to youth soccer, Scott has been recognized for his vision, leadership, and planning. From strategic planning to staff recruitment and facilities development, Scott helped implement professional standards in youth soccer, creating a better environment for youth soccer for for FSC, IPSC, and all of central Indiana. *
- 2009 Volunteer of the Year - Jim Knoche
Jim is the Vice President of FSC and has served as an at -large board member (sponsorships/facilities) for the past six years. He has served on the SPORTS Facility Committee as the soccer representative for two years and has been a travel team manager (FSC and IPSC) for the past seven years. Jim has been an integral part of the Halloween Classic Committee, serving as Director of Program (5 years), Sponsorship (5 years) and Facilities (3 years). Jim is also a board member for GiRLS and has served as Vide President for the past 4 years. Jim helped spearhead an effort to bring a Kohl's American Cup to FSC in 2009 and his work with field maintenance plans and sponsorship have helped benefit the greater Fishers community. His vision, leadership, and dedication have positively impacted youth soccer in Indiana, making a difference at all levels of the game. *
- 2009 President's Award - Whitey Kapsalis
Whitey, a long time recreational and travel coach for FSC, was honored by Indiana Youth Soccer with the "President's Award" for his enthusiastic support, boundless energy and many hours of dedicated service to the Indiana soccer community and for his current leadership in the Indianapolis 2018-2022 World Cup Bid Effort. *
* Text courtesy of IYS and the Annual Awards Dinner & Hall of Fame Induction Program
Fishers Soccer Club is proud to present Jim Knoche as our 2009 S.P.O.R.T.S. Volunteer of the Year for Fishers Soccer Club. The announcement was made at Casino Night.
Over the past year, Jim’s significant contribution to Fishers Soccer Club has made a difference -- both inside and outside of our club.
- Board Member – Jim has been an active member of our club’s board of directors for several years. As an at-large member his focus is on fields and sponsorships. In addition to managing field set-up, maintenance, and tear-down he is actively improving the facilities at Fishers and Hamilton Southeastern High Schools. The efforts at the schools are paying off in both better fields and an improving relationship with the school staff. Just this spring, Jim organized the top dressing of the fields and with the help of club volunteers and school staff put 420 tons of material on to the fields.
- 2008-2009 U14 Girls Team Manager – Jim was an active participant on his daughter’s team as the team manager. While the team wrapped up play last spring as the young ladies moved on to high school Jim continues is work within FSC.
- Kohl’s Cup – Jim’s leadership and drive helped lead FSC to host the Kohl’s Cup tournament last spring. The event, which was extended to include other clubs in central Indiana, brought a taste of tournament competition to our recreational players and a bit of recognition to FSC.
- Greater Indiana Regional League of Soccer (GIRLS) – Jim is the GIRLS U10 Academy & Competitive Age Commissioner. Most of our U8 through U14 girls teams participate in GIRLS for their league play. Jim’s participation provides a conduit for information exchange between the league and our club.
- S.P.O.R.T.S. Facilities Committee – Jim has served FSC as a member of the S.P.O.R.T.S. Facility Committee. Most recently he was a driver behind the revised field signage policy passed by the Town of Fishers allowing FSC an opportunity to expand sponsorships to field naming.
Mike Bigelow, a recreational coach with a 10 year history, was awarded the Coach of the Month award for May, 2009. Sadly, Mike passed away in April.
Michael Patrick Bigelow, 41, of Fishers, Indiana passed away of complications from pancreatic cancer. He was born May 25, 1967 in Tampa, FL to Mary Bigelow (Whitty) and Tom Bigelow.
Mike coached in the Fishers Soccer Club for 10 years at the recreational level for various teams. His ability to communicate with and inspire young children on the soccer field was a true gift. He taught much more than just the game of soccer to each of his players and co-coaches, he taught us all how to persevere, work hard, have dreams and achieve goals….life lessons that reach far beyond the playing field. And he did it all within the spirit of the rules and a warm smile upon his face. His 3 children all play in the Fishers Soccer Program. Kate plays for the U13 Blue Lightning ISL Premier Team, Maggie for Juniors in the 3/4th Grade recreation program, and Matt for Dortmund in the 2nd Grade recreation program. His wife of 17 years, Kris, is an assistant coach for Matt’s team.
In his team’s first weekend without Coach Bigelow physically on the sidelines, his 3rd/4th Grade Girls team, the Juniors, went undefeated in becoming the Kohl’s American Cup Champions. Donning black armbands on their left arms to honor their coach, the girls played inspired soccer from the opening whistle. They played with the desire and character that Coach Bigelow taught them in coming from behind in 2 out of the 4 victories and won the tournament by working hard, never giving up and by playing as a team…..qualities Coach Bigelow instilled in each and every one of them. While Coach Bigelow was not physically on the sidelines, every player, parent and coach would concur that his “presence” was felt and that his inspiration led them to the Championship.
Mike was recently awarded The Chairman's Ovation Award by Eli Lilly for helping to develop the company's policy on Pharmaceutical Industry Information transparency.
Memorial contributions may be made to College Choice, 12368 Sanderling Trace, Fishers, Indiana, 46037.
Alan Bird, S.P.O.R.T.S. Coach of the Month - February
Alan Bird, coach of our U9 Girls Academy was selected as the S.P.O.R.T.S. Coach of the Month for February. Alan was nominated by Suzanne and Darren Thomas. See the write-up and the rest of the S.P.O.R.T.S. Newsletter. Congratulations, Coach Bird!
Greg Davidson, Finalist - IYS Girls Travel Coach of the Year
Greg Davidson, the coach of our U13 girls Blue Lightening team, was honored at the Indiana Youth Soccer Awards banquet as a finalist for Girls Travel Coach of the year. Greg's teams are competitive but display outstanding sportsmanship; demonstrated as the GIRLS Fair Play award. Visit the IYS website to see complete details of the awards, finalists and ultimate winners. Nice job, Coach Davidson!
Indiana Youth Soccer Award Finalists
Congratulations to David Boncek and Rich Hauser. Both gentlemen were recognized as finalists for state awards at the Indiana Youth Soccer Awards Banquet on February 2, 2008. The banquet is a part of the annual events weekend where soccer coaches and administrators from throughout the state of Indiana gather for educational workshops, the awards banquet, and the Indiana Youth Soccer annual meeting.
David, who coaches and trains our U14 Girls travel teams, was named as a finalist for the Girls Travel Coach of the Year award. Rich, who is currently our club Vice President and Commissioner for our Kindergarten Girls recreational division, was named as a finalist for the Volunteer of the Year award.
S.P.O.R.T.S. Volunteer of the Year
Laura Devault received the Voulnteer of the Year award for soccer at the annual Rally 'Round S.P.O.R.T.S. banquet. Congratulation Laura, your efforts as Club Registrar are key to our success.
S.P.O.R.T.S. Coach of the Month ( September )
Ken Simpson, a recreational coach in our 2nd Grade Boys division, was honored as S.P.O.R.T.S. Coach of the Month. As posted in the SCOREBOARD e-newsletter:
Coach Simpson is consistently upbeat, positive and dependable. He is a wonderful role model for my child and the others. He gives my son confidence, always there to high five him and give him positive words of encouragement and has brought my son's soccer skills to a higher level. His patience is amazing. All the kids respect him and listen to him. He is a truly gifted coach.
Thanks to Jenny Kalis for submitting this nomination.
FSC Website Award Finalist
Indianapolis, Indiana (January 18, 2007) -- Indiana Youth Soccer recognized the Fisher Soccer Club website http://www.fisherssc.org at the 2007 Annual Awards Dinner Saturday, January 13 at the Radisson Hotel, downtown Indianapolis. The Fishers Soccer Club website was named a Finalist in the Website of the Year category.
The Indiana Youth Soccer Annual Awards recognize exemplary volunteers and events in Indiana soccer organizations across the state. Nominations for awards in thirteen categories were submitted by Indiana Youth Soccer member clubs. Finalists from each category were given complimentary passes to the dinner, and winners were announced at the 2007 Indiana Youth Soccer Annual Awards Dinner event.
Finalists and Award Winners received plaques for their dedication of time and talent to youth soccer in Indiana. All recipients were also given two complimentary tickets to a 2007 MLS Chicago Fire Soccer game, courtesy of the Chicago Fire.
IYS Tournament of the Year
Our 2005 edition of the Halloween Classic tournament was awarded Tournament of the Year honors at the annual Indiana Youth Soccer Awards Banquet.
IYS Recreation Coach of the Year
Jim Barron, a long time recreational coach with FSC was awarded Recreational Coach of the Year honors at the annual Indiana Youth Soccer Awards Banquet.
S.P.O.R.T.S. Volunteer of the Year
Rich Hauser received the Voulnteer of the Year award for soccer at the annual Rally 'Round S.P.O.R.T.S. banquet.
S.P.O.R.T.S. Volunteer of the Year
Traci Schath received the Voulnteer of the Year award in honor of outstanding service as Director of our Recreational Program.